Prof. Guijun Ma received his BEng from the Department of Chemical Engineering at Lanzhou University in 2002. He then completed his PhD on photocatalytic splitting of H2S at Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics under the supervision of Prof. Can Li. Later, he worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the groups of Prof. Domen at the University of Tokyo and Prof. Takanabe at KAUST, respectively. In 2009, he was appointed as the Principal Researcher at ARPChem, the University of Tokyo, working on photocatalytic and photoelectrochemical water splitting. Prof. Ma joined the School of Physical Science and Technology of ShanghaiTech University in 2017 as a principal investigator. The main research focus of his group is developing novel inorganic materials for efficient solar water splitting systems. He also lectures undergraduate courses including Electrochemistry and Fundamentals of Catalysis.
Our group aims at developing new photocatalytic and photoelectrochemical water splitting materials and devices, which use sunlight as energy input to sustainably produce H2 as clean fuel. To make it commercially viable, we must consider not only elevating its energy conversion efficiency, but also the extending the stability and reducing the costs. Having these factors in mind, we find that transition metal oxides, oxysulfides and (oxy)nitrides with visible responses are candidates with great prospect. At the moment, the state-of-the-art energy conversion efficiency is still rather low, but our preceding research has shown there is plenty of room for improvement with careful control of crystallinity, morphology and surface treatment.
The main research interests of our group are:
1. Developing cost effective synthetic methods for high performance transition metal oxysulfides and (oxy)nitrides for H2 and O2 evolution reactions.
2. Realizing high overall water splitting efficiency with electrode- or powder-based Z-scheme systems.
3. Gaining mechanistic understanding of photocatalytic and photoelectrochemical processes with advanced characterizations, such as intensity modulated photocurrent spectroscopy and surface photovoltage spectroscopy.
46. “Facet Engineering on WO3 Mono-Particle-Layer Electrode for Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting”, W. Lin, B. Zhang, K. Liu, J. Zhang, J. Wang, G. Ma*, Chemistry - A European Journal, 2022, doi.org/10.1002/chem.202201169
46. “Facet-Oriented Assembly of Mo:BiVO4 and Rh:SrTiO3 Particles: Integration of p–n Conjugated Photo-electrochemical System in a Particle Applied to Photocatalytic Overall Water Splitting”, B. Zhang, K. Liu, Y. Xiang, J. Wang, W. Lin, M. Guo, G. Ma*, ACS Catal., 2022, 12, 4, 2415–2425.
45. “Formation of multifaceted nano-groove structure on rutile TiO2 photoanode for efficient electron-hole separation and water splitting”, X. Zhan, Y. Luo, Z. Wang, Y. Xiang, Z. Peng, Y. Han, H. Zhang, R. Chen, Q. Zhou, H. Peng, H. Huang, W. Liu, Ou X., G. Ma*, F. Fan*, F. Yang, C. Li, Z. Liu*, J. Energy Chem., 2022, 65, 19.
44. “Doping Rh into TiO2 as a visible-light-responsive photocatalyst: The difference between rutile and anatase”, J. Wang, K. Liu, B. Zhang, Y. Qiu, Y. Xiang, W. Lin, B. Yang, B. Li*, and G. Ma*, Appl. Phys. Lett., 2021, 119, 213901.
43. “Fabrication of a facet-oriented BiVO4 photoanode by particle engineering for promotion of charge separation efficiency”, B. Zhang, Y. Xiang, M. Guo, J. Wang, K. Liu, W. Lin, and G. Ma*, ACS Appl. Energy Mater., 2021, 4, 4259.
42. “Design and fabrication of Bi2O3/BiFeO3 heterojunction film with improvedphotoelectrochemical performance”, X. Yan, R. Pu, R. Xie, B. Zhang, Y. Shi, W. Liu*, G. Ma*, N. Yang*, Appl. Surf. Sci., 2021, 552, 149442.
41. “Flux-assisted preparation of Sm2Ti2S2O5 powder applied to photocatalytic H2 production from water”, M. Chao, G. Ma*, Chin. J. Inorg. Chem., 2021, 36, 16.
40. “Facet-selective construction of Cu2O/Pt/BiVO5 heterojunction arrays for photocatalytic H2 production from water”, J. Liu, B. Zhang, Y. Xiang, G. Ma*, New J. Chem., 2020, 45, 517.
39. “A one-step synthesis of a Ta3N5 nanorod photoanode from Ta plates and NH4Cl powder for photoelectrochemical water oxidation”, Y. Xiang, B. Zhang, J. Liu, S. Chen, T. Hisatomi, K. Domen, G. Ma*, Chem. Comm., 2020, 56, 11843.
38. “Alteration of onset potentials of Rh-doped SrTiO3 electrodes for photoelectrochemical water splitting”, M. Guo, G. Ma*, J. Cat., 2020, 391, 241.
37. “Diatom-inspired multiscale mineralization of patterned protein-polysaccharide complex structures”, K. Li, Y. Li, X. Wang, M. Cui, B. An, J. Pu, J. Liu, B. Zhang, G. Ma, C. Zhong*, Natl. Sci. Rev., 2020, DOI: 10.1093/nsr/nwaa191.
36. “Efficient photoelectrochemical hydrogen production over CuInS2 photocathodes modified with amorphous Ni-MoSx operating in a neutral electrolyte”, J. Zhao, T. Minegishi, G. Ma, M. Zhong, T. Hisatomi, M. Katayama, T. Yamada, K. Domen*, Sustain. Energ. Fuels, 2020, 4, 1607.
35. “Metal selenides for photocatalytic Z-scheme pure water splitting mediated by reduced graphene oxide”, S. Chen, T. Hisatomi, G. Ma, Z. Wang, Z. Pan, T. Takata, K. Domen*, Chin. J. Cat., 2019, 40, 1668.
34. “Visible‐light‐driven photocatalytic Z‐Scheme overall water splitting in La5Ti2AgS5O7‐based Powder‐suspension system”, Z. Song, T. Hisatomi, S. Chen, Q. Wang, G. Ma, S. Li, X. Zhu, S. Sun*, K. Domen*, ChemSusChem, 2019, 12, 1906.
33. “Efficient hydrogen evolution on (CuInS₂)ₓ (ZnS)₁-ₓ solid solution-based photocathodes under simulated sunlight”, J. Zhao, T. Minegishi, H. Kaneko, G. Ma, M. Zhong, M. Nakabayashi, M. Katayama, N. Shibata, T. Yamada, K. Domen*, Chem. Comm., 2019, 55, 470.
32. “Metal selenide photocatalysts for visible-light-driven Z-scheme pure water splitting”, S. Chen, G. Ma, Q. Wang, S. Sun, T. Hisatomi, T. Higashi, Z. Wang, M. Nakabayashi, N. Shibata, Z. Pan, T. Hayashi, T. Minegishi, T. Takata, K. Domen*, J. Mat. Chem. A, 2019, 7, 7415.
31. “Plate-like Sm2Ti2S2O5 particles prepared by a flux-assisted one-step synthesis for the evolution of O2 from aqueous solutions by both photocatalytic and photoelectrochemical reactions”, G. Ma, Y. Kuang, D. H. K. Murthy, T. Hisatomi, J. Seo, S. Chen, H. Matsuzaki, Y. Suzuki, M. Katayama, T. Minegishi, K. Seki, A. Furube, K. Domen*, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2018, 122, 13492.
30. “Efficient redox-mediator-free Z-scheme water splitting employing oxysulfide photocatalysts under visible light”, S. Sun, T. Hisatomi, Q. Wang, S. Chen, G. Ma, J. Liu, S. Nandy, T. Minegishi, M. Katayama, K. Domen*, ACS Cat., 2018, 8, 1690.
29. “Enhancement of the H2 evolution activity of La5Ti2Cu(S1−xSex)5O7 photocatalysts by coloading Pt and NiS cocatalysts”, S. Nandy, T. Hisatomi, G. Ma, T. Minegishi, M. Katayama, K. Domen*, J. Mat. Chem. A, 2017, 5, 6106.
28. “Ultrastable low-bias water spitting photoanodes via photocorrosion inhibition and in-situ catalyst regeneration”, Y. Kuang, Q. Jia, G. Ma, T. Hisatomi, T. Minegishi, H. Nishiyama, T. Yamada, A. Kudo, K. Domen*, Nature Energy, 2017, 2, 16191.
27. “Visible light-driven Z-scheme water splitting using oxysulfide H2 evolution photocatalysts”, G. Ma, S. Chen, Y. Kuang, S. Akiyama, T. Hisatomi, M. Nakabayashi, N. Shibata, M. Katayama, T. Minegishi, K. Domen*, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2016,7, 3892.
26. “Rationalizing long-lived photo-excited carriers in photocatalyst (La5Ti2CuS5O7) in terms of one-dimensional carrier transport”, Y. Suzuki, R. Singh, H. Matsuzaki, A. Furube, G. Ma, T. Hisatomi, K. Domen, K. Seki*, Chem. Phys., 2016, 476, 9.
25. “Photoanodic and photocathodic behaviours of La5Ti2CuS5O7 electrodes in water splitting reaction”, G. Ma, Y. Suzuki, R. Singh, A. Iwanaga, Y. Moriya, T. Minegishi, J. Liu, T. Hisatomi, H. Nishiyama, M. Katayama, K. Seki, A. Furube, T. Yamada, K. Domen*, Chem. Sci., 2015, 6, 4513.
24. “Site-selective photodeposition of Pt on a particulate Sc-La5Ti2CuS5O7 photocathode: evidence for one-dimensional charge transfer”, G. Ma, J. Liu, T. Hisatomi, T. Minegishi, Y. Moriya, M. Iwase, H. Nishiyama, M. Katayama, T. Yamada, K. Domen*, Chem. Comm., 2015, 51, 4302.
23. “Enhancement of solar hydrogen evolution from water by surface modification with CdS and TiO2 on porous CuInS2 photocathodes prepared by electrodeposition-sulfurization method”, J. Zhao, T. Minegishi, L. Zhang, M. Zhong, Gunawan, M. Nakabayashi, G. Ma, T. Hisatomi, M. Katayama, S. Ikeda*, N. Shibata, T. Yamada, K. Domen*, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2014, 53, 11808.
22. “Improving the photoelectrochemical activity of La5Ti2CuS5O7 for hydrogen evolution by particle transfer and doping”, J. Liu, T. Hisatomi, G. Ma, A. Iwanaga, T. Minegishi, Y. Moriya, M. Katayama, J. Kubota, K. Domen*, Energ. Environ. Sci., 2014, 7, 2239.
21. “Fabrication of photocatalyst panels and the factors determining their activity for water splitting”, A. Xiong, G. Ma, K. Maeda, T. Takata, T. Hisatomi, T. Setoyama, J. Kubota, K. Domen*, Cat. Sci. Tech., 2014, 4, 325.
20. “Photoelectrochemical conversion of toluene to methylcyclohexane as an organic hydride by Cu2ZnSnS4-based photoelectrode assemblies”, P. Wang, T. Minegishi, G. Ma, K. Takanabe, Y. Satou, S. Maekawa, Y. Kobori, J. Kubota, K. Domen*, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2012, 134, 2469.
19. “Semiconductor monolayer assemblies with oriented crystal faces”, G. Ma, T. Takata, M. Katayama, F. Zhang, Y. Moriya, K. Takanabe, J. Kubota, K. Domen*, CrystEngComm, 2012, 14, 59.
18. “A hybrid photocatalytic system comprising ZnS as light harvester and an [Fe2S2] hydrogenase mimic as hydrogen evolution catalyst”, F. Wen, X. Wang, L. Huang, G. Ma, J. Yang, C. Li*, Chemsuschem,2012, 5, 849.
17. “Photoelectrochemical hydrogen production on Cu2ZnSnS4/Mo-mesh thin-film electrodes prepared by electroplating”, G. Ma, T. Minegishi, D. Yokoyama, J. Kubota, K. Domen*, Chem. Phys. Lett., 2011, 501, 619.
16. “Photocatalytic H2 evolution on CdS loaded with WS2 as cocatalyst under visible light irradiation”, X. Zong, J. Han, G. Ma, H. Yan, G. Wu and C. Li*, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2011, 115, 12202.
15. “Enhanced visible-Light activity of titania via confinement inside carbon nanotubes”, W. Chen*, Z. Fan, B. Zhang, G. Ma, K. Takanabe, X. Zhang, Z. Lai*, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 14896.
14. “Photocatalytic H2 evolution on MoS2/CdS catalyst under visible light irradiation”, X. Zong, G. Wu, H. Yan, G. Ma, J. Shi, F. Wen, L. Wang, C. Li*, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2010, 114, 1963.
13. “H2 evolution from water on modified Cu2ZnSnS4 photoelectrode under solar light”, D. Yokoyama, T. Minegishi, K. Jimbo, T. Hisatomi, G. Ma, M. Katayama, J. Kubota, H. Katagiri, K. Domen*, Appl. Phys. Express, 2010, 3, 101202.
12. “Preparation, characterization and photocatalytic performance of Zn2-xGeO4-x-3yN2y catalysts under visible light irradiation”, B. Ma, X. Zong, G. Ma, J. Yang, P. Ying, C. Li*, Chem. Bull., 2010, 6, 556.
11. “Photocatalytic hydrogen production on CuInS2-ZnS solid solution prepared by solvothermal method”, G. Ma, Z. Lei, H. Yan, X. Zong, C. Li*, Chin. J. Cat., 2009,30, 73.
10. “Visible-light-driven hydrogen production with extremely high quantum efficiency on Pt–PdS/CdS photocatalyst”, H. Yan, J. Yang, G. Ma, G. Wu, X. Zong, Z. Lei, J. Shi, C. Li*, J. Cat., 2009, 266, 165.
9. “Visible light driven H2 production in molecular systems employing colloidal MoS2 nanoparticles as catalyst”, X. Zong, Y. Na, F. Wen, G. Ma, J. Yang, D. Wang, Y. Ma, M. Wang, L. Sun, C. Li*, Chem. Comm., 2009, 30, 4536.
8. “Direct splitting of H2S into H2 and S on CdS-based photocatalyst under visible light irradiation”, G. Ma, H. Yan, J. Shi, X. Zong, Z. Lei, C. Li*, J. Cat., 2008, 260, 134.
7. “Photocatalytic splitting of H2S to produce hydrogen by gas-solid phase reaction”, G. Ma, H. Yan, X. Zong, B. Ma, H. Jiang, F. Wen, C. Li*, Chin. J. Cat., 2008, 29, 313.
6. “Enhancement of photocatalytic H2 evolution on CdS by loading MoS2 as cocatalyst under visible light irradiation”, X. Zong, H. Yan, G. Wu, G. Ma, F. Wen, L. Wang, C. Li*,J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2008, 130, 7176.
5. “Suppressing the CO formation via anion adsorption on Pt/TiO2 for the H2 production from the photocatalytic reforming of methanol”, G. Wu, T. Chen, X. Zong, H. Yan, G. Ma, C. Li*, J. Cat., 2008, 253, 225.
4. “Kinetics of photogenerated electrons involved in photocatalytic reaction of methanol on Pt/TiO2”, T. Chen, G. Wu, Z. Feng, J. Shi, G. Ma, P. Ying, C. Li*, Chin. J. Chem. Phys., 2007, 20, 483.
3. “Mechanistic studies of photocatalytic reaction of methanol for hydrogen production on Pt/TiO2 by in-situ FTIR and time-resolved IR spectroscopy”, T. Chen, Z. Feng, G. Wu, J. Shi, G. Ma, P. Ying, C. Li*, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2007, 111, 8005.
2. “Sulfur-substituted and zinc-doped In(OH)3: A new class of catalyst for photocatalytic H2 production from water under visible light illumination”, Z. Lei, G. Ma, M. Liu, W. You, H. Yan, G. Wu, T. Takata, M. Hara, K. Domen*, C. Li*, J. Cat., 2006, 237, 322.
1. “Water reduction and oxidation on Pt–Ru/Y2Ta2O5N2 catalyst under visible light irradiation”, M. Liu, W. You, Z. Lei, G. Zhou, J. Yang, G. Wu, G. Ma, G. Luan, T. Takata, M. Hara, K. Domen*, C. Li*, Chem. Comm., 2004, 36, 2192.
G. Ma, T. Hisatomi, K. Domen, “Semiconductors for Photocatalytic and Photoelectrochemical Solar Water Splitting”, in “From Molecules to Materials-Pathway to Artificial Photosynthesis”, Springer Publisher, 2015, pp 1-56, ISBN 978-3-319-13800-8.
Orcid and ResearcherID:
张继方 / 助理研究员 （2021）
张博杨 / 博士研究生 （2018）
林文瑞 / 硕士研究生 （2019）
刘铠玮 / 硕士研究生 （2019）
许垚 / 硕士研究生 （2020）
史珂 / 硕士研究生 （2020）
张家铭 / 硕士研究生 （2020）
茅学曼 / 硕士研究生 （2021）
汤业成 / 硕士研究生 （2021）
张自豪 / 硕士研究生 （2021）